Monday, September 5, 2011

And...She's Here.

Connor arrived in early June and his due date was late May.  Blake wanted to show him up, I guess, so she decided to arrive in mid-August instead of early September.  If this is a sign of things to come, I am concerned about what the kids (it's still weird using the plural form of that word) have in store for Mom and Dad down the line.  If they are already on their own schedule and not listening to how Mom and Dad have it planned out, we are surely in trouble...

Because, if you haven't noticed, I am a planner.   A scheduled c-section for Blake's birthday meant that (1) I didn't have to go through painful contractions or the scare we had when Connor was born, (2) it would be a controlled, and timely process, and (3) I could be organized and have everything ready in plenty of time for her debut. 

Nope, it didn't work out that way.  Of course not.  And I should've expected as much.  I actually should've expected something was going to happen when our AC unit stopped working Thursday afternoon.  And my parents were on an Alaskan cruise; Dennis' parents were at the beach.

I didn't seem to suffer as much as Dennis did in the heat, so I slept upstairs in our bedroom Thursday night while Dennis got comfortable on the couch downstairs.  I didn't sleep well, but attributed that to the lack of AC and me being a pregnant woman that was super ready to pop.

Dennis came upstairs to shower to see me holding my abdomen.

"Are you OK?  Are you going into labor?"

"No, I'm fine.  I think I just have bad cramps."

"You sure?"

"Yes, I'm sure.  I am getting these cramps every 4-5 minutes, though. And my water might've broke(n).  I am leaky."

"These could really be contractions, Krista.  I should take Connor to school right now and we'll get you to the doctor."

"I'll call the nurse but I'm sure that these aren't contractions.  Blake's due date isn't for 3 more weeks.  I don't deliver kids early."

Dennis took Connor to school and called me as soon as he dropped him off.  I had to get off of the phone quickly because the pain of my 'cramps' was causing me to throw up.  I was starting to believe that these might be contractions that I was feeling.

Dennis came home, I threw some things in a bag (of course, we hadn't packed yet because we had 2 more weeks until the scheduled c-section), grabbed a container for me to use as a "puke bucket" and we were off.  Well, we tried to be "off" but rush hour on Friday morning had other ideas.  As you can imagine, I had a few choice words for those cars in our way. 

I called the doctor to see if I still needed to come in to see them or if I could straight to the hospital.  The nurse encouraged me to come in to be checked out and then they could send me to the hospital if necessary.  I asked the nurse if she had pain medication or if I'd have to wait until I got to the hospital to get it.  She said that they can only give me pain medication at the hospital, so my decision was made.  We were going straight to Northside Hospital. 

I filled out a few forms at the front desk as Dennis parked the car.  The nice lady behind the desk got me in to a room immediately.  My tears and frequent use of the puke bucket might've helped my cause, too. 

Our check in time was 9AM and Blake arrived right before noon by c-section despite the on-call physicians attempts to talk me into doing a VBAC (vaginal birth after cesarian).  And man-oh-man am I glad that I refused to change our plans.  Blake was not a small baby at all; she tipped the scales at 8 lbs, 15 oz's on August 19th. 

Dennis will undoubtedly agree that Blake's arrival was much more smooth than Connor's entrance into the world.  Besides my pain, puking, and frequent request for pain medications, this time was not nearly as stressful for either of us.  Or for Blake.

Even though she is a far cry size-wise from what you'd expect of a "preemie", she is still considered to be premature because she was born at 37 weeks.  A big, healthy, beautiful baby girl.  And, HAVE YOU SEEN THE HAIR ON THIS KID?

We are so thrilled that Blake is here and that we've had her for over two weeks.  Her 'due date' is September 9th and I'm glad that she helped me escape a few of the worst weeks of pregnancy by arriving so early. 

I love looking at her and holding her.  Especially when Connor, Dennis, and Echo are all on the couch with me. 

It's crazy to think... one wonderful husband. Two kids.  One pooch. 

And our family is now complete. 


1 comment:

Dried-on Milk said...

yaaay!!! congratulations! she's gorgeous!!! LOVE the hair!!!