Monday, July 4, 2011

Having a Blast on the 4th of July

The beginning of July is always a busy time for us.  Stephen's birthday is July 3rd, then we have the usual 4th of July festivities and my dad's birthday is on the 5th.  Connor calls both my dad and Stephen "Papa" so this video brought a smile to each of their faces. 



Neither Dennis nor I was up to the 2011 Peachtree Road Race which is a real bummer because the shirts actually looked pretty decent this year. The running while I'm 30 weeks (feels like MONTHS) pregnant thing wasn't exactly appealing to me.  Not sure why but it just wasn't on my short list of things that I want to do this summer.  Connor DID make another video to say "Happy 4th of July" to all of his friends, though....



The rain put a little bit of a damper on our plans for the afternoon so we decided to come up with our own 4th of July celebration.  Since I don't cook but like to pretend that I will someday, I get daily emails on easy, healthy, and fewer than 10 ingredient recipes.  One of them caught my eye today.  And yes, it is a dessert.  It's not like I would consider wasting the few minutes a month that I choose to cook on something lame like a main course or meat or side dish. 

So, here is the photo that caught my attention:


Connor and my dish didn't turn out quite as pretty but we couldn't find red or blue sprinkles at the grocery store and popsicle sticks must've been hiding in one of those invisible isles that houses most of the items that I go searching for. 

Ok, so it might not have turned out quite as pretty but it we definitely had more fun than the people who made these picture perfect star shaped rice krispy treats. 



And yes, that's icing.  We improvised a little.  What recipe ISN'T made better by a little icing??  And, it should be noted that we did not make star shaped treats.  Connor said that they are "star fish" treats.  "MY star fish", to be exact. 

Our sugar high had subsided a little bit by the time we took this photo and it was off to bath time...

1 comment:

hapi said...

Hi Krista, Nice blog you got here! try visit my new post: Blog SEO Tutorial: How to Choose the Best Title For Post. I hope you will learn something from it. Have a great day!