Sunday, November 1, 2009

A Month Early

Yes, I am guilty of being negligent and not posting much lately but I am going to surprise you today with TWO POSTS IN THE SAME DAY. I hope you were sitting down when you read the last sentence because otherwise you are probably on the floor right now. Overwhelmed with excitement. I know, I know, it's hard to believe. Get up, put on your seatbelt or whatever you need to do because here goes post #2 for November 1st, 2009. (Yes, I'm still drinking coffee. It is highly likely that I need to slow down on my caffeine consumption this morning.)

You've probably seen the same things that I've seen on TV: Christmas is coming early this year because retailers are worried about the cutbacks in consumer spending. So, the deals are already here and I'm sure that you will see no less than 78 bazillion misteletoes, garlands, and Santa Claus' the next time you step foot into a mall. Christmas Carols will be imprinted on your forehead.

And, being completely honest, I wasn't excited about Christmas arriving the day after Halloween this year until I got the paper this morning. In years past, I would be feeling overwhelmed, stressed, and unprepared.

This year is different, though.

I opened the newspaper this morning (still with my large cup of coffee in hand) and went straight for the ads. There are so many cute toys and kids gifts that I cannot wait to buy for Connor. Many of the toys are for children older than him but I know in just a few years we'll be buying him all kinds of fun toys. And seeing his face on Christmas morning will be the best gift that I could ask for.

In a few years, I am imagining Connor ripping open presents from Santa and Dennis spending hours putting together toys that claim to be "easy-to-assemble" but never are. I'll be cooking...wait. No, that's not right. That's not a realistic vision. Ok, stick with the first part and then picture me helping Connor make a mess with the wrapping paper and then bringing Dennis a stiff drink to help lessen any frustration he may have. Echo will be helping out with the ruckus, too. And, of course, I will be there taking PLENTY of pictures.

1 comment:

Dennis said...

I am really looking forward to helping Connor w/ his gifts. The stiff drink as well.