Monday, July 13, 2009

The more things change, the more they stay the same

Dennis, Connor and I went out for a fancy mexican dinner on Saturday night. I should clarify that because we did go to dinner but we went much earlier than normal. As Dennis says, we went to eat at retirement-home dinner time.

Since we now have to schedule all outings around when Connor has to eat - which is every 3 hours - the timing of everyday activities takes on a new twist. For example, I really wanted to see the movie Hangover this past weekend but the only time that would have worked was 10:45AM. Yes, I said AM. And I was actually considering trying to get Dennis to go with me at that time of day. Not sure that we'd do the regular popcorn routine but maybe the movie theatre would have pancakes? Or cereal?

As you know by now, I am not the best person at accepting and dealing with change. Connor has introduced us to more of the evil "c" word than I could have ever imagined. Good change and hard-to-get-used-to-change.

ANYWAY, back to our trip to the mexican restaurant. Dennis and I walked in with Connor and I asked for a table for two-and-a-half people. As we walked to our booth, I noticed all of the people around us. These were people that I had never seen before. They appeared to be normal but I wasn't entirely convinced. They all had kids and sippy cups and other toys or gadgets that I have yet to learn about. Some had kids that were loud and running around, others had quiet ones. Luckily for us, ours did sleep through dinner so we were able to enjoy our soft tacos and margaritas like we were used to. And, most importantly, I was able to get a styrofoam cup for my... um... water... when we left.

MORAL OF THE STORY: I walked into the restaurant fretting about how much things have changed. But walked out of the restaurant - with my to-go cup in hand - realizing that a lot of things are still the same.

1 comment:

Josh M. said...

Northlake Movie Tavern DOES have pancakes on Saturday morning. No lie. Of course, I think they only show kids movies then, not The Hangover.