Monday, July 27, 2009

It's Official: I am THAT lady

I set out this morning with good intentions. Connor, Echo and I went on a walk through the neighborhood around 8:30AM. Then we went to the grocery store about 9:15AM. The day was off to a good start.

And, you won't believe it, but this story gets even better: I actually sat down on Sunday and made a plan for dinner for each night this week. Weird, I know. At this point, I had no reason to suspect that our trip to the grocery store was going to be anything less than the usual adventure: a little bit of independent seek-and-find that quickly gives way to me asking the store employees which isle has what I'm looking for. Lots of fun.

We went into Kroger, and I started finding the random items that we needed. I was probably 80% of the way through my list when Connor started to fuss. He fussed so much that I decided to carry him rather than having him sit in the buggy. He quieted down momentairly as we continued on our mission. Picture this: me frantically pushing the cart (with an empty car seat in it), my list in one hand, and Connor in the other. I quickly found out that he was not done fussing. Ohhhh noooo. I needed to get out of the store. Fast.

As he was bobbing his head back and forth on my shoulder, I scanned the store in desperation and luckily (for me) spotted a Kroger employee. YESSS. All hope was not lost. I could surely ask this nice lady where to find the refrigerated shelled edamame. At this point, it was close to 10AM, Connors usual feeding time, so I was fully aware of the urgency in this situation (as if the crying itself didn't keep me on task). I needed to find those damn beans!

I walked up to this lady (who, for some odd reason, looked terrified by my approach) and asked her where I could find the edamame. She answered and pointed me in the right direction. My boobs are huge right now so it didn't faze me when she kept looking at my chest as we spoke. However, I did manage to glance down at my shirt as I hurried over to the frozen food section and stopped in my tracks when I saw what she must've seen: two very big, not-discreet-at-all, wet spots on my shirt. GREAT. Now I smelled like milk.

At this point I was tempted to - but didn't - expose myself in the middle of the grocery store. I had no shame. None. Zero. Zippo.

Fast-forward about 40 minutes and we're at home. Connor is fed and the world is right again.

Y'know how we've always been told to avoid the grocery store when hungry? After today, I have some even better advice: avoid the grocery store when your BABY is hungry.

2 comments:

Trish said...

All too familiar to me! Been there, done that. Gotta love the leaking milk! There has been many dressing rooms, bathrooms or cars that I have had to nurse in to quiet a screaming child. The questions used to be, "What is the craziest place you have ever 'done it'?", but now the question seems to be, "Where's the most random place you have ever had to nurse?".

Emmy said...

Or the lesson could be don't leave home without boob pads and a hooter hider while breast feeding. You can let down at the cry of another baby or at the thought of your baby, or just by seeing a baby. Crazy boobs! Such weird thing isn't it?