Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Separation Anxiety

Yes, you guessed it: Dennis is out of town for a few days this week. But, my separation anxiety isn't so much about him as it is about our tupperware.

We enjoy talking about what we'll do when we are rich. One thing that always comes up is that we'll buy really good deli meat. Maybe we'll even have our own chef slice our deli meat for us in our very own fabulous kitchen. You are probably thinking, oh, they won't eat sandwiches when they are rich but yes, oh yes, we will. We will eat them and enjoy every minute of it.

So for now, we're stuck buying the "fresh" deli pre-packaged meat. It's actually pretty good and my favorite part is that you often get a FREE tupperware container with your purchase. What a deal!

Due to my overwhelming love for cooking, it's fair to say that we've had our fair share of sandwiches and therefore have tons of tupperware containers in our cabinet. When either of us opens that cabinet, there is a 50/50 chance that lids and plastic containers will fall out of the cabinet and onto our heads. (Ok, they don't fall on Dennis' head but as a vertically challenged individual, they often hit ME in the head.) They are disorganized and mis-matched. Lately I've had to use foil to cover the plastic containers because I cannot locate the correct lid. I mean, seriously, this is getting ridicilous.

For some reason, I cannot throw them away. I just cannot bring myself to do it. Believe me, Dennis has threatened to throw them away but I won't let him. He suggested that we purchase one of these "smart spin" thingamabobs. And, I'm not opposed to it. But, you must realize that it will take time to embrace the change. I mean, our lives will definitely be less exciting without the thrill of wondering will I, or will I not, be hit in the head when I open this cabinet? Or maybe the thrill is more related to wondering will (insert spouses name here) get hit in the head when the cabinet opens? I hope so!

The term tupperware has been used very loosely in this post and I feel obligated to point out that a much more suitable term for what we have in our kitchen is plastic containers. That makes this whole little obsession thing a bit more sad, doesn't it? I guess the first step is admitting that you have a problem...

6 comments:

Dennis said...

seriously. how could anyone NOT want the "SmartSpin"? it's pure genius. i'm ordering one now...

Melissa Bledsoe Minihan said...

It's weird you guys have this problem...so do we!! Mike gets so mad that I won't throw away anything. Even if the tupperware has no lid and is totally useless. Misery loves good company :)

Katie said...

I want the smartsspin too. That thing is awesome, as long as you use it the right way, I suppose.

Anonymous said...

HAH! We also have approximately 2,542 deli meat plastic containers! Why do I keep all of them??? I have found that it helps if I stack all of the bottoms separately from the lids and then stack the lids separately beside them. I think our lids even snap together. This ingenious system does not spin, but it does keep the containers from falling on your head. At least I only keep these containers and not every yogurt cup, Cool Whip tub or Ziploc bag like my grandma did.

Dennis said...

awesome. my g'ma used the cool whip tub for storage as well. I always thought that was gross. don't even get me started on the ziploc bags. Krista likes to keep those as well. every so often I'll come home to a freshly rinsed ziploc bagging hanging on the sink faucet. Krista likes to keep the faucet fresh, i suppose.

Krista said...

ha ha WHATEVER My dad always did that and so sometimes I do it, too...and yes, it keeps our sink very fresh! :)