Thursday, August 7, 2008

A Pregnant Pause

So, it's been a while (three or four weeks?) since I've given an update on what's going on with this whole baby-making-thing. I know that y'all are laying awake at night wondering when, just when, will I post some type of update for you to read. Well, wait no longer. The moment is here.

As mentioned in a previous post, I had to wait for my pregnancy tests to come back with a big fat goose egg for me to start moving the process forward again. Well, ladies and gents, I finally got to zero and so now we are able to start getting my body all revved up for the next attempt.

The pharmacy fairy showed up at our house a few days ago with some of the meds that I'll be taking over the next few weeks and months. I think the next shipment may require more than one fairy since it (is a fairy a "he" or a "she"? I always assumed it was a "she", so we'll go with that) will be bringing me many more meds. Maybe the stork could do the delivery since he is much bigger.

ANYWAY, we are just starting to get my body ready for the next IVF round (which will probably occur in a few months) and it is amazing to me how much goes into the process. Someone did a lot of work to figure this all out! And I thought that getting pregnant would be easy!! It seemed simple: you just get the eggs, get the sperm, put them together in a petri dish, turn out the lights and put on some romantic music, and viola! you have some embryos. A few days later, the embroys are implanted. Then, if it doesn't work, you try again in a few weeks. I had no idea that it would take several months to even consider doing it again.

We have two great nurses that allow me to call them all the time to ask questions on "how" and "what if" and "when" which makes this process so much easier. They laugh at me because I have this little tendancy to be ... uh ... meticulous ... and ... uh ... well, let's just say it: anal. I called one nurse this morning to confirm that I am supposed to be giving myself shots in my lower abdomen now, not in my back. She patiently answered and gave me a play-by-play of what to do, when to do it, and when to call her again. She keeps me organized, which I never thought that I would need. But, I do. Heck, I can't even pronounce the names of most of the meds that I'm taking.

So, there you have it... not pregnant ... still working on it... stay tuned for more updates.

7 comments:

Katie said...

Funny thing but I DO often wonder when an update will come. You and Dennis are in our prayers. This will work soon....I promise. I guess it is a joke that getting pregnant is supposed to be "fun". (The part you forgot to mention too is that all those meds COST money!!!! eeeeek. )

Love you both.

Anonymous said...

I've been thinking of you guys. And also watching a lot of "Jon and Kate Plus 8" which makes me 99% sure you guys will have sextuplets.

Anonymous said...

I, too, am convinced that you're going to have multiples. Half-Asian ones, just like Jon and Kate. And you can name your girls Meimi and Maya because those are the greatest half-Asian names ever. Also, you can name the boys Meimus and Mayo.

Josh M. said...

Wait, you're anal?

THAT'S why you're not pregnant! You're doing it wrong.

Krista said...

NOW you tell me. Thanks a lot, Josh!

Katie said...

Josh, that was HILARIOUS!!!!!!!!!!

Emmy said...

I am keeping my fingers crossed for you all! Since you just learned that anal is the incorrect position for baby making you might also take into consideration that your mouth can't get pregnant either :)