Ok, let's get one thing straight. Universal healthcare is nothing short of a universal nightmare. Yes, it sounds good, but in actuality, it is really, really, really bad.
It is a total shocker that I'm not going to be PC and say it might or it may or it will but rather that it won't. It won't work. Period. The whole idea sucks and let me explain to you why. Here are the top reasons Universal Nightmare Healthcare sucks:
- It is hardly "free" since we would be paying for it with higher taxes. Plus, oftentimes the copay amounts are 10-40% of the procedure costs. IT'S NOT FREE, PEOPLE! It's actually MORE EXPENSIVE!
- Medicines are not more readily available or less expensive. Innovation and new product development would actually be stymied under this type of program. When is the last time you heard about a new, breakthrough technology being developed in Canada? Uh...yeah. That's what I thought.
- While I am sure that there are nice people in Washington...somewhere...I do not like them enough to let them make MY medical decisions. Or decisions for my family. Seriously, do you really want the same people running the DMV to be in charge of your healthcare?
- While our current healthcare system has room for improvement, it's not nearly as bad as the government suggests.
- There are way more reasons NOT to do this than reasons to do it. Want to read an unbiased review of the pros and cons? Be my guest.
If you care about yourself, your family, your friends, AND have at least two brain cells, I am sure that you are in agreement with me on this topic. Just say NO to a universal healthcare disaster.