Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Paleo Update

So I feel this need to give you an update on the Paleo challenge.  

First and foremost, we are still doing it.  Mostly.  Dennis decided this past weekend that he needed a cheat day because football, well, just isn't football, if you don't have a beer.  Or two.  

And I'm not saying that I haven't cheated.  Only a little here and there, though.  As I type this, I look at my I'm-sure-cavemen-drank-this-drink that is sitting next to me:  Sparkling water (zero calories), sweet tea vodka, and a splash of lemon juice.  True paleo means no alcohol but what fun would that be?  So, to answer your question in a very long-winded fashion, YES, I am cheating.  But only a little.  And it's for the better good:  so that I can stay the course.  Of course it is.

And what recipes have we tried?  You can eat 'paleo' pretty easily - - just eat lean meats, vegetables, a few nuts, and a small amount of fruit each day and you are good to go.  So, the need for actual recipes isn't a huge need but it is there.  And, knowing that I absolutely love (or loathe?) to cook, I'm sure you are surprised at my desire to find very simple paleo meals.  

We purchased Everyday Paleo, which is a great starting point for us.  Two recipes tried so far and we're batting .500.

Everyday Paleo egg cupcakes:  Um....Not so much.  I should've known that they wouldn't be very tasty just by looking at the pictures.  I had high hopes that were dropped on their face.  They did a nose dive off of the roof of a 20 story building.  The food was edible and well...yeah...that's about it.  I do not recommend.    

Let's look at the good outcome:  Sun-dried tomato chicken slaw.  Sounds kind-of strange, I know, but trust me, it's good.  Really good.  And the best part...it's easy.  My only question was if this is a 'slaw', shouldn't it be a side-dish?  I treated it as our main dish and our side dish all in one.  That's what momma likes.  

So, yes, we are surviving...and actually doing pretty well.    

Oh yeah, and CrossFit? I am loving it.  (Dennis, I hope you smile as you read this because I am saying:  YES, YOU TOLD ME SO.)

No comments: