Monday, May 11, 2009

Two Words that I've Longed To Say

After everything that we've been through, there are two words that Dennis and I always thought about. And now we're there. And we can say it. Finally.

Connor is ... (drum roll, please) ... FULLY COOKED.

As of last weekend (37 wks), we are considered full term. His lungs, which are typically the slowest to develop for white males, should now be in full working order. Maybe that's why I've felt him having so many hiccups lately. He's practicing breathing.

I have tried and tried to think of something non-baby related to blog about but I can't. All that I can think is WHEN IS HE GOING TO MAKE HIS APPEARANCE? I'M READY. HIS LUNGS ARE READY. WHAT'S THE FRIGGIN' HOLD UP? WHAT CAN I DO TO ENTICE HIM TO COME OUT? So, I did what any eager and expecting mom-to-be would do: I googled it. And here's what I found:

To induce labor, you can:
  • Eat spicy foods. I also heard that Scallini's eggplant parmigiana is known for inducing labor. We might go to Scallini's this weekend. Would it be weird to eat there 3 times in one day?
  • Drinking castor oil. I'm not kidding on this one. I will tell you, though, that apparently there is a castor oil that is used to cook with in addition to the castor oil that I am imagining right now...lubricating the engine in a car. I think I'll skip this one.
  • Sex. Oddly enough, it's not the act itself that induces labor but the prostaglandins in the semen are supposed to help stimulate contractions. Nipple stimulation is also supposed to work.
  • If you have started to have contractions, walking can help with the process. That's an easy one. I'll walk all day if I need to.
So, ladies and gents, it looks like I'm off to walk the dog, eat some spicy mexican food and some Eggplant Parmigiana, chug some castor oil and then have sex with with my husband. He is one lucky man.

3 comments:

Dennis said...

Sounds like a plan. I must ask though, if you can please brush your teeth prior to our sex. I don't think the mexican castor oil parmesan breath will be much of a turn on.

Jamie Massey said...

Geez Dennis, you are SO needy! Stop thinking about yourself for once! Do it for the team!

Emmy said...

Yes those are all things you can do to induce labor. However I must warn you that sex may be really uncomfortable. I don't know if it happens to everyone but when I was prego the hormones really dried things up....OUCH! Sorry for the TMI people but I feel prego ladies should be warned! Also you really don't want to have the baby early you just think you do. Grady arrived a month early which had its benefits in terms of the pregnancy and giving birth....but we suffered in other ways when he was born. The longer they are cooking the better, TRUST ME!