Friday, February 20, 2009

Goodbye, Mike. We will miss you.

Remembrance

Remembrance is a golden chain

Death tries to break,

but all in vain.

To have, to love, and then to part

Is the greatest sorrow of one's heart.

The years may wipe out many things

But some they wipe out never.

Like memories of those happy times

When we were all together.

~ Author Unknown




I have been struggling about what to write or what not to write about Gallaghers passing. It took us all by surprise and we will all miss him so very much. In trying to come to grips with what happened, I have realized that I need to focus not on the fact that he left us but rather focus on what he left us with. There are so many funny stories and great memories.

He meant the world to Dennis and in the few short years that I knew him, he earned a special place in my heart. Gallie, you'll be missed! More importantly, though, you'll always be remembered.

3 comments:

Krista said...

I love this Irish poem. It was printed on the church bulletin for the service celebrating Mike's life.


Remembered Joy

Don't grieve for me, for now I'm free!
I follow the plan God laid for me.
I saw His face, I heard His call,
I took His hand and left it all...
I could not stay another day,
To love, to laugh, to work or play;
Tasks left undone must stay that way.
And if my parting has left a void,
Then fill it with remembered joy.
A friendship shared, a laugh, a kiss...
Ah yes, these things I, too, shall miss.
My life's been full, I've savoured much:
Good times, good friends, a loved-one's touch.
Perhaps my time seemed all too brief—
Don't shorten yours with undue grief.
Be not burdened with tears of sorrow,
Enjoy the sunshine of the morrow.

Anonymous said...

Krista, thank you so much for writing this, I think you always know just the right thing to say and the poems to be shared. bam

Katie said...

Love you Gallie. Nice job Krista. Thanks for opening your house to us this past weekend. Although it was a sad situation, it was amazing to be with you all.